By the time the Civil War started in 1861, Marietta had recovered in the flames and was flourishing. The Raiders uttered the railway and spent the night of April 11. Twenty-one of those guys stayed in the Fletcher House and two remained in Cole’s Marietta Hotel. On the night of April 12, 1862, a group of 23 men spent the night divide between Cole’s along with the Fletcher House. They met in James Andrews’ area and proceeded into Marietta Station. Boarding a train, they commandeered it a couple of minutes after. The next 50 miles of this ride has been dramatically recreated for generations and is now generally called “The Great Locomotive Chase.” As crews began to north of the town a pastime became popular. The roadbed was ideal for horse racing, along with the sport grew popular, taking place at the region of the present-day Marietta Welcome Center and Visitors Bureau. The Western and Atlantic began to run from Atlanta to Chattanooga in 1850 and during to Adairsville in 1845. Tanyards became a company and, combined with earnings, made up a major portion of the city’s business income. In 30 years as a town Marietta had witnessed more history than many towns see in a century. Celebrate the history of this city at the Marietta History Museum that is exciting on the second floor of the Kennesaw House. Watch the area at which Andrew’s Raiders finalized their plans. Stop by the Cherokee section and learn about “elimination” about the Trail of Tears. The state assembly approved a bill creating the Western and Atlantic Railroad. Colonel Stephen Long, U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, was selected to head the project, and he selected Marietta as home base.
Of finding near Marietta Square the effects has been important. Business began to boom. Three taverns sprang up around the center of town to accompany the early shops of Thomas Johnston and George Winters, John Lemon, Watson W. Simpson, and James Waller. A tanyard was nearby. The Georgia Military Institute was built about a mile in 1851 out of the square on Powder Springs Road. Courses began in July. From the end of this initial year, 28 guys were in attendance. During the fire destroyed much of the city on three events. Initially, in 1854, destroyed the Howard House and threw Dix Fletcher out of work. He took Mayor Glover’s warehouse, which had been spared, and turned it to serve the visitors of this growing city. John Denmead, a builder who helped construct the railroad, opened the first bank in the city in 1855 and remained on. Enter John Glover. Founded in 1848, Glover immediately became a successful businessman and politician that was popular. So popular that if the city incorporated in 1852, Glover was elected its first mayor. Although the Glovers will be successful at jobs through the years, one of the first successes were warehouse and a tanyard. From the Howard house register one of the guest was Zachary Taylor of Washington City. Cole ran the Marietta Hotel was called by a hotel on this square’s south side. It was called the finest in Marietta. From 1838 trestles and roadbed had been built north of the city. When Long stopped, was criticized to be too slow by politicians construction lasted until 1840. He felt that the criticism unfounded, and he was correct.
For 2 years work came to a standstill before another engineer was found. Before there was an Atlanta or a Chattanooga there was Marietta, Ga.. A little cluster of homes near the Cherokee town of Kennesaw were reported as early as 1824. An early street in what could become Cobb County spanned the “Shallow Ford” of the Chattahoochee and conducted just south of these settlers. Forces under the command of William Tecumseh Sherman moved in and occupied the town. For the next five months troops would pillage by night. “Uncle Billy’s” boys were leaving for the core of Georgia on “The March into the Sea.” In 1832 10 counties were shaped by the nation of Georgia from what was Cherokee land. In 1837 the Georgia Gazetteer reported that the town of Marietta was named for Cobb’s wife. The Georgia legislature legally recognized the town on Dec. 19, 1834, but by that time a sizable community already existed. James Anderson in 1833, who had worked in northern Georgia, laid out the plat for the town, because destroyed. Marietta had a square in the center with a courthouse. To the west of town, near the base of Kennesaw Mountain, a “Dr. Cox” provided treatment with his “water cure.” Although visitors explained it as “invigorating,” most probably only came to escape from the bug-infested coast and also to enjoy the good foodnevertheless, by 1861 Cox began what could grow into a significant tourist industry. “Dr. Cox” was a real medical doctor, named Dr. Carey Cox, also practiced what is called homeopathic medicine today. He is recognized by the Cobb Medical Society as the first physician.
With the strong history of Marietta, one may have gotten unlucky and has been pulled over for a DUI charge. If that is the case, be sure to call your expert Marietta DUI Lawyer today for help with your case, you can reach us at: 678.412.0381